Wednesday, March 24, 2010

ABBA CDDC EFEFGG

First of all, this is not to be confused with Swedish pop band ABBA, I am referring to the structure of Charlotte Smith's Sonnet III To A Nightengale.

Although it does fit the Shakespearean sonnet form in that it is a fourteen line composition, it does have a number of areas where it diverges from that norm. First and foremost, this poem does not follow iambic pentameter perfectly - it has a number of lines that are more or less than ten syllables. I think this is an intentional move by Ms. Smith to distinguish her writings from other contemporary Sonnets.

What struck me as even more interesting as far as being a "renegade" in her writing, I will now discuss the title of this post. I am certain you know that I am referring to the rhyme scheme of this Sonnet. Although the traditional three quatrain and rhyming couplet is in place, the schemes are somewhat inverted in the sense that it would usually be ABAB but the author instead flips the third and fourth lines.

I see these minor acts of defiance as attempts to differ from the norm. Given that the author of this poem is female in a highly male-dominated field and time, this attempt to appeal to the read from a different angle is appealing and intriguing. Good work, Ms. Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment